Sunday 20 December 2009

Interview: Incredible Weapons


Mr Danny G took the time to answer some questions about his bloody briliant breezy, summer-scented powerpop band Increadible Weapons. They're not super-famous yet but they ARE great, Indiepages.com decided to class the demo submitted by Danny for a review as a "proper" release cos it was just so darn good. You should do yrself a favour and get his tunes in yr ears by going right down to http://www.incredibleweapons.com/. If you ask nicely, Danny will send you a disc too, bless.
(Again, all linkies added by me, so if they're all to cock that's my fauly, not Mr Danny G's)

Bite Yr Lip: How long have you been making music as incredible weapons (and please tell us about what came before)?

Danny G: Well Incredible Weapons played one festival and made the EP last summer; since then we've played a couple more times with all new jams and I've done some acoustic shows too. Before wuz a pop group outta Winchester called the Go Waves followed by an excellent 'lost weekend' bringing us right back up to the Weaps.

BYL: Do you play live often? What’s Andover like for being pop performer?

DG: This year I've done two acoustic shows and two rock shows. Only this weekend my drummer was saying he wants to do at least a show a fortnight until our bass player moves to Austria in the summer. We've got literally nothing booked though... maybe I should get off my arse?

Andover's the new rock'n'roll

BYL: Do you record yrself at home? Do you play all of the instruments?

DG: Yes, recording and full-volume rehearsing happens at home. There's a lot of space out here.

I'm a hack on the traps and bass but I'll lay down guides if the band aren't about. Keys too. I love playing all of them but I'm kinda inconsistent... like I'll have a tidy little hip-hop groove going on the drums then have no idea where to put my hands for a fill so I just throw them at the drums and see what happens. This means playback with the band is often accompanied by a generous round of guffaws.

BYL: How did the EP come about and where’s it available, how do we get one?


DG: The EP is the first five songs I finished when I decided I could get back into finishing stuff off (see 'lost weekend') which is why it's a little all over the place. 'Asking For Trouble' is from the un-finished Appletown EP and 'Solipsister' is in it's second version . The first had completely different words & flow and the cutest BV's by my friend June from Tokyo. These are sadly missing from the EP versh. I want to record an orchestra on my four-track for a new 'Pure '82'.

BYL: The record as a whole could be described as power-pop, what stuff goes in yr ears to make that stuff come out?

DG: My alarm clock every day is an Abba mixtape.

BYL: Are you making more recordings/planning any other releases?

DG: I record all the time but that's cause I'm an ideas man. I always love the freshest brain-scrapings most. It's terrible really; I've so many half-baked recording that'll never see the light of day. BUT... there are plans - we're gonna try recording the live set at home and see if it's good enough for backing tracks for something. I'm also thinking super-limited tape and a 7" this year. I may also release a mixtape as I am deeply besotted with a number of tunes I've found this year.

BYL: What’s great pop music that we should check out sometime soon?

DG: Some pop songs (go on hypemachine then buy it when you love it!/have cash - delete as appropriate)

Wavves - So Bored
Sexy Kids - Sisters are Forever
Jane Woody - Tiny Ants (myspace only?)
Mazes - Bowie Knives
Anne Bacheley - Drive in the Dark (maybe email her?)
Jean on Jean - Tonight
The Oh Sees - Carol Ann
Young Governor - Virginia Creeper
Owen Tromans and the Elders - Crew of the Raven (from the forthcoming Fall of Acre LP)

Thanks Ray, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment